Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Step right up!


OK, so I know so many people think clowns are super CREEPY & I have to admit I kind of do too. But I thought that this theme would be a good challange. I wanted to create a sweet yet not too baby clown print that wouldn’t feel scary.


What got me thinking about clowns was this art my dad made in 1975 & sold in kids toy stores/ boutiques. I remember when I was young & someone had a baby he would cut the child’s name out of the alphabet, mat it & place it in a brightly colored frame. Yes, my Daddy is an artist, it runs in the family. He had his own graphic design studio for 30 years. Our styles are really different his work is very polished & this clown piece he made always cracked me up because it’s so unlike the usual work he did.

So honestly what do you think are clowns creepy? Have I changed any minds???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so cute Jill!! you achieved what you was aiming to achieve. they are not creepy at all, they are adorable and fun! Your clowns make me smile! Now a know where you get your creative talent.

Tamlynn said...

I agree, those are happy, innocent looking clowns. Very fun. You reminded me that my dad used to write our names in his own style of interlocking block letters.

Do you paint on colored paper, or are your backgrounds painted too? They look so smooth and consistent.

Tracey said...

You did a great job with these clowns They are very cute, sweet, & fun. They do not seem scary at all.

kristina proffitt said...

I could definitely fall in love with those clowns. :) Very cute and not scary at all. Thank goodness. :)

FRIZZ said...

I'm not a fan of clowns but yours rock. I love how you used all those colors and it still feel like a balanced piece.